All about Cinderella: Retellings in the Cultural Imagination
University of Bedfordshire
9–10 June 2017
Call for papers
Three-hundred and nineteen years since the publication of Charles Perrault’s famous Histories du Temps Passé, the myth of Cinderella remains integral to many current facets of our cultures. Inspired by the University of Bedfordshire’s collection of scripts, books, theatrical memorabilia, designs, ephemera on Cinderella and organised by the Research Institute for Media, Arts and Performance, this conference focuses on the role of performance and storytelling as a way to analyse moments of significant artistic, cultural and social change.
The interdisciplinary event will provide an open debate about this ever-present story from different cultural perspectives across the world and we invite abstracts of 300 words for 20 minute papers. Possible themes include:
- Cinderella narratives and metaphors
- Cinderella on screen and stage
- Transnational Cinderella
- The publishing of Cinderella
- Victorian Cinderella
- Cinderella and design
- Adaptations of the Cinderella story
- The psychology of Cinderella
Non-traditional proposals featuring collaborative papers, practice-led research, video-essays, elements of performance etc. where they increase our knowledge of the role of re-narration of fairy tales in artistic, cultural and social change are actively encouraged. RIMAP wishes to offer a prize for the best Postgraduate proposal.
Please include the following with your abstract:
- Collaborators’ and presenters’ names, addresses, affiliations, contact details in a short biography, together with a URL to a sample of work (if appropriate). Please state if you are a postgraduate research student.
- Description of the presentation/performance/screening 300 words max (if appropriate)
- Technical or space requirements
- Duration (the standard duration is 20 minutes but you may request multiples)
Please send your abstracts and support documentation to Cinderella@beds.ac.uk by 11.30pm on 9 December 2016. Notification of acceptance will be sent by 3 February 2017.
More information about the conference will be posted on the conference website: www.beds.ac.uk/cinderella and on Twitter @cinderellaconf