FACES OF THE FANTASTIC
8-10 October 2015
Kazimierz Wielki University in Bydgoszcz
Institute of Polish Philology and Culture Studies
Faculty of World and Comparative Literature;
Institute of Modern Languages and Applied Linguistics;
Faculty of Journalism, New Media and Social Communication (Humanities2.0)
Faces of the Fantastic is an interdisciplinary academic conference hosted by Kazimierz Wielki University in Bydgoszcz, Poland. It focuses on the fantastic (science fiction, fantasy, and other similar genres). Topics suggested for discussion are divided in two spheres: literature and games.
- fantastic fiction in the context of post-humanism;
- boundaries of the fantastic in the context of inter- and transmediality;
- alternative worlds;
- myths and what has remained of them (mythopoesis);
- ontologies and epistemologies of the fictitious worlds;
- the Other;
- boundaries between the postmodern and the fantastic literature;
- the fantastic as satire and grotesque, or grotesque as the fantastic
- world: physical and imaginary spaces;
- hero/ine: character creation and functionalities;
- story: narrative in digital and analog games;
- genres: games and genre conventions;
- product: games as adaptations, games as franchise;
- consumption: the immersive experience of gameplay;
- education: the fantastic, narrative, and gamification in education
Deadline for abstract submission (up to 200-300 words): 30 June 2015. The literature-related proposals should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. The game-related proposals should be sent to email@example.com.
Notification of acceptance: 10 July 2015.
Participation in the conference is free. However, payment (320 PLN, or 80 euro) is required if you want to submit your paper for peer review and publication. Payment details will be provided later.